Sunday, January 26, 2014

First post(week 3) and OOP!

Hello fellow 148'ers, welcome to the first post of my CSC148 SLOG. I'm going to be periodically posting here about how my 148 lectures are going and what I'm enjoying and learning during the process. This is the third week of lectures, and we mostly learned about exceptions and inheritance this week. I had some knowledge of the concepts from the AP CompSci course I took back in high school. Well, that was more than 2 years ago, I learned about these stuff using Java, and frankly, if I was asked to demonstrate my knowledge right now, I wouldn't be able to move my finger. But nevertheless, while some of us are learning these concepts for the first time, I am(and probably some other classmates like me) actually benefiting by learning how to implement them in Python and cleaning some dust of my programming skills we have yet to use in first year CS courses.

I'm particularly excited about inheritance and digging deeper into the object-oriented programming world. Although it can sometimes be frustrating to deal with all those objects, classes and subclasses(particularly forgetting to add the keyword "self" EVERYWHERE), I think OOP is a really nice thinking structure. It can actually be applied to numerous real life situations, and by real life situations I don't mean real life coding challenges. I mean virtually any system that has a working structure can be thought of as if it were an object-oriented program. Actually this makes it easier to apply in programming, because it doesn't require you to think of it as an abstract concept, but it enables you to think of it just as you were solving an everyday problem. Well I'm writing all this while I study for an economics midterm and believe me, multiple times today the thought "I'd rather study CS than doing this" had crossed my mind, and it probably will again until the test tomorrow night, but I guess I'll have to deal with it. Make sure to check out my later posts, until then, I wish we all have a nice time struggling with CSC148!

No comments:

Post a Comment